Whenever I get the question "What are you studying at BYU?" and respond with "Art History" I receive very mixed reactions, some leaning to the "Oh wow that has got to be sooo boring," position while others seems to say (with their eyes of course) "Now how practical is that?" and still others seem mildly interested but don't really care to know more. I've grown accustomed to these responses, to the point where I began to question myself, why I am studying art history? I can't make a lot of money as an art historian and so it certainly doesn't seem practical, and the art history world is insanely competitive anyway so who's to say I'll even find a job doing anything involving art history? Not to mention these past two semesters, my final two in the program, have have been the craziest of my life, with everything I'm doing (Noteworthy, school, family, church callings, internship) seemingly pulling me in different directions all the time, some of the passion seems to have dissipated. However while sitting in a lecture this morning, I had an epiphany, and all of a sudden the passion returned. I love art history! I've been inspired yet again by one of my favorite professors here at BYU. I had the realization that not only do I get to study different cultures and time periods, but I do so through the most common medium known to any given civilization or culture in any period of history, images. One of our professors recently returned from the annual College Art Association Conference in Chicago, IL and reported on the new scholarship and research being done. It was fascinating to hear what new arguments and new view points were presented, on pieces that I thought I completely understood. I realized yet again, that I love my field not only because as an art historian you realize that art speaks differently to each person who views it, and there is not one "correct" way to understand any given piece, but also because art can teach you a lot about yourself. This concept is continually being brought before my attention, especially with the piece I am working on for my senior thesis. It's called the Master of Trebon Altarpiece and it was completed in the late 14th century in Bohemia (modern day Prague).

I initially saw this piece on my first day in Martha Peacock's Northern Renaissance Class. As it occupied the first full page of our textbook, I glanced at the image the first day of
class and moved on to the reading assignment, not really too intrigued. However I kept coming back to this piece, not only because of the rich colors and unsophisticated rendering of the figures, but also the subject, quite obviously identified as the resurrection. As I continued to study the piece I noticed that the Roman soldiers were wearing unconventional armor. The sharp tips and points on the edge of the helmets, shields, and clubs create a circle around Christ. I realized that the points could possibly represent the crown of thorns, thus giving a much deeper meaning to the painting than I had originally read. I asked Martha what she thought, and she said, "You know, I've never noticed that before, but I think that would be a fascinating topic for your research paper this semester." I immediately began researching and writing, completing my research paper for Northern Renaissance in December, and researching/writing now for my senior thesis. The process of researching and writing has taught me so much about who I was in high school when I originally took the AP art history class and who I've grown to become. I've learned especially writing about this resurrection piece, why I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have of the gospel, and of the Plan of Salvation. I've gained a stronger testimony of my Savior Jesus Christ in researching his life, and his miracles. These past two semesters I've learned that it really doesn't matter what you study, you'll get a job if you have a degree, so study something you're passionate about. Today I was reminded why I originally fell in love with art history. This experience has given me the motivation I really needed to continue to work and research the Master of Trebon Altarpiece, not because I "have" to write a paper on it, but because I want to be able to convey the love I have for art and share that love with others! So next time you look at a piece of art, don't start by asking what is the artist trying to say, but rather, ask yourself what is this piece saying to ME?
Siri, it's so wonderful to hear your expression of how wonderful art history is! I'm so glad that someone understands how I feel and I know that it is a subject that will be part of your life for the rest of your life :)
ReplyDeleteBravo! What an eloquent expression of why to study art history, and how it is most meaningful on an individual basis.
ReplyDeleteI came to art history after other careers, and was inspired to translate this new passion into a product, Masterpiece Cards. It's a set of 250 art history cards of famous paintings made from the Renaissance through 1960s. Well-known art historians (generally the authors of textbooks) are quoted to explain and examine the paintings. The paintings included are the paintings that were most often discussed in many leading survey textbooks -- so it's like "The Greatest Hits in Art History"! And yes, I DID have a blast doing all the research for this.
Feel free to learn more at the website, www.TheMasterpieceCards.com. There's also a blog about famous paintings, and an ebook of all the works included -- both are free.
Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Susan Benford
I'm not gonna lie. I often feel liek i have to defend my decision to study Art History, and it makes me mad that I do, but I'm afraid of being judged. My husband studies English, and he and I both constantly get, "So...are you gonna teach...or what?"
ReplyDeleteI'm excited for your thesis presentation. Maybe I'll post about my own project on my blog this week.