Tuesday, March 27, 2012

When I'm here...I'm home

We've been living in New York City for about a year and 1/2 now. And let me just tell you, I seriously love living here. I love the neighborhood we live in with the countless row-homes, family friendly vibe, great restaurants, people honking at all hours of the night, beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline, motorcycles that drag race right outside our house at 3AM, corner bodegas where you can buy a $5 gallon of milk-and pretty much anything else your heart desires, these same bodegas sporting names like "Exective Deli", yes you read that right not "Executive", but "Exective", oh and my very favorite two restuarant signs, "Meal is Deal" (who knows what kind of food exists in that place) and "New Chinese Good One" - things like this just make me smile. I love the pace of the city, there's always something going on, so if you're bored, or hungry, it's your own fault. I love how each neighborhood is so different, you can walk 3 blocks and suddenly everything that used to be in Chinese, is now written in Italian, or Greek, or Spanish. And I especially love the many, many, many old Greek people in Astoria, one whom we know named Hercules, I'm not kidding. (Side-note-Michael really wants to name baby Hercules, I told him no-haha) I love taking the train, and seeing so many different kinds of people crowded together in one place. And oh my goodness I love love LOVE the food in New York, regardless of what you're in the mood for you can find it, and it's always delicious--ok maybe not always, but generally. :) I LOVE the museums, theaters, broadway, shopping, Central Park, really the list could go on forever. I even love the crazy drivers and the traffic.

 What I love most though, is that when I'm here, I feel like I'm home. It's a great feeling when you finally start feeling at home in a new place. I think the biggest reason for this feeling comes from the fact that we have met so many wonderful people, and we've made so many great friends. It's been an incredible place for Michael and I to "grow up" and more importantly grow together. And I tend to agree with Dorothy,

 "There's no place like home."

1 comment:

  1. now - never say never....this past season at the wrestling tournaments we kept hearing the name "Sparticus" called out...made me want to re-name all the boys as greek gods (or whatever exactly they are!) kinda fun (you know, in a completely silly and ridiculous way, but hey - in that setting - sounded pretty good!) ;)

    ReplyDelete