So there's one thing that I believe is a sure science. Birds migrate when it gets cold, right? So naturally you wouldn't expect to see birds in October in NY, except pigeons are ridiculous and they don't have brains apparently...because they're ALL still here. Oh the joys of having to walk UNDERNEATH a bridge that houses hundreds of these birds when I walk home from the grocery store. It really is like dodging bullets, and I'm in constant fear as I cling to my bags of vegetables and baking supplies, or at least that's how it felt when I walked home on Tuesday. So my question is, WHY in heavens name can't pigeons be normal birds and MIGRATE?! Especially because I think pigeons really do have it out for me, come to think of it seagulls too...
A Pigeon Story :
Last summer I was waiting for my two besties, Haley and Diana to come and see me. Finally they got their flights, packed their bags, and hopped on a plane bound for NYC. I was working the day they arrived but they decided to come meet me in the city for lunch. We decided to meet in Times Square outside of the M&M factory. So I'm standing on the crowded street trying to find a square inch that isn't oozing with tourists and finally I find a plot of sidewalk to park my two little feet. So I'm standing, minding my business, when I feel something on my head, and then I hear laughter, and then I touch my head and immediately regret that fateful decision, for you see I was standing under a light post, a very bad decision in NYC and one that of course only I, a new New Yorker, would make. Only one thought went through my mind. PIGEON. POOP. ON. MY. HEAD. And then I registered the laughing behind me, seriously? Two guys sitting INSIDE the M&M store are dying, clutching their sides and gasping for air. So I did what any normal, embarrassed, tourist would do, I grabbed a napkin wiped it out as best I could (DISGUSTING, I KNOW) and waited for my friends, who were across the street and happened to see the whole thing, which only makes the story better. And here's the kicker, I had to go back to work with leftover pigeon poop in my hair. And here's the DOUBLE kicker...it wasn't the first time a bird had pooped on me...
A Seagull Story:
Study Abroad 2008. What a blissfull experience that entire trip was. Well almost entirely. While in Italy we were able to take a ferry and visit the Island of Capri. It was so gorgeous with its' rocky cliffs and ship filled harbor. The ferry ride was only 40 minutes but it was enough time to make us girls anxious to get to the island and start exploring. We finally docked and piled off the boat. One of the girls in my group looked up and noticed hundreds of seagulls flying 50 feet above us. She said "Oh I hope I don't get pooed on." The same thought went through my head, only I didn't realize that birds seriously hate me. Ten feet down the dock a bomb drops on my arm and my arm starts to sting. (I mean come on from 50' above me that stuff was traveling FAST!) I looked at my arm, registered what had happened and started freaking out like a girl. Luckily an angel, Brianna, looked at me and faster than the speed of light whipped out some "Wet-Ones" from her purse and wiped my arm off. And with a smile said, "Oh I always carry these, just in case." What a saint! So if you're ever anywhere close to birds and me at the same time, seriously watch out, they have it out for me.
Oh dear. :( I think you need to invest in a hat. At least, one that you can wear when you walk back from the grocery store and have to go under the bridge. Or when you are in the city meeting friends at lunch. It won't stop the stuff getting on your clothes but it will stop it from getting in your hair.
ReplyDelete