Thursday, October 21, 2010

"The Secret to Creativity is Knowing how to Hide Your Sources" Albert Einstein

So I've been thinking a lot about the word create. I feel like we live in a consumer driven society always buying more, working harder so we can buy more, and always always wanting more, and there's no such thing as patience. (Oh my I will definitely be writing about the pace of life in NYC...so different from the West...no one has any patience, whatsoever) If it doesn't come fast, then we don't want it. {Why do we think 1 out of every 3 children in the United States are considered overweight or obese--fast food-but that is definitely a whole other post as well} Sorry for so many tangents...I feel like I get caught up in this cycle, a lot. Instead of having the need to create things I feel I need to consume them whether that be a pair of boots (and by consume I mean buy, I don't think leather boots would taste very good), delicious food etc...So I've decided I want to be more creative and make things rather than buy them. I always tell myself that I wasn't blessed with the creative gene, but I'm trying to convince myself that I can be anything I want to be, thus I want to learn to be more creative. For me, because I'm slightly creatively challenged, this means making goals and having deadlines. I don't necessarily get super excited about the process of creation (i.e. cooking, crafting, baking etc) but I know I'm always thrilled with the result. And it also requires me to blog stalk and creatively decide who's ideas I want to use. {Ok so maybe that's not creating, or creative, but I have to start somewhere right?}  And unlike Mr. Albert Einstein, I can't take credit for others wonderful ideas...so I'm going to share some ideas I've found that I want to create! First, BAKING:

While blog stalking Pioneer Woman (LOVE HER!) I came across this recipe...it seriously jumped off the page it looks so delicious!

Moist Pumpkin Spice Muffins (With Cream Cheese Frosting) -thank you Pioneer Woman! Here's her beautiful picture...I hope mine turn out just as lovely...


And since I can't seem to get enough pumpkin dessert (thanks a lot noteworthy--for your viewing pleasure
 --just as a side note there were like 2 months where nearly every night we'd gather at amy's and make some sort of pumpkin concoction...we were addicted) here's another Pumpkin Muffins Recipe I found with the frosting inside.(Video from Courtney Jensen Facebook page...which means yes you definitely want to watch it)

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins they're from a new baking site I found called Annie's Eats. You should go there, you won't be disappointed.


And now onto COOKING and something that I have recently created...
As the leaves change colors and the cool weather insists on staying, soup always sounds so appealing. My sister in law Annaliese gave me a fabulous recipe for Tortilla Soup.  One that Michael and I enjoy frequently.

Tortilla Soup:
1 tbs olive oil
4 garlic cloves, smashed or minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cans diced tomatoes in juice
2 cans black beans rinsed and drained
1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth (you can use any chicken broth)
1 package (or canned) corn
salt and pepper
fresh lime juice

what annaliese added:
cilantro (however much you want)
1 tbs cumin
shredded chicken

what i added:
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 lb. ground beef (cooked with onions and garlic at the beginning) (in place of chicken)
beef broth in place of chicken broth

In large saucepan cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1
minute add ground beef and cook until done, drain; add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn & 1 cup water, cumin;
season with salt and pepper.

Bring soup to boil; reduce to simmer, for about 5 minutes, {this is when annaliese added the chicken}, add cilantro & lime juice. Serve.



This soup is super easy to make and tastes delicious when the weather outside gets frightful...haha ok, but seriously it really is delicious.   

Next we must enter the world of CRAFTING
My ward in New York is seriously fabulous. We have knitting group, yes a group where anyone who wants to come, can come and knit. It's seriously great. So a couple weeks ago I learned the basic knitting stitch, I don't even know if it's called a stitch but anywho....I'm busying perfecting this...I'm not really making anything in particular just yet, but I hope to get better. My ultimate goal is to make some scarves, a neck warmer and a cute hat, and maybe if  I'm really daring some gloves. Like these....

are you kidding me right now...how cute are these?!


I'm sorry but how cute is that?!
and this...
(probably not this color...)


 So yes I have very lofty goals...pie in the sky goals....but I can do it! However, this could take a couple years and the weather is already cooling down so I might need to take a trip to China town and barter for a hat to keep my head warm. {Perks to living in NYC~Why pay full price for anything, just go to China town~I don't recommend this for all things, however} One sister in the ward is super professional...she seriously is the knitting goddess...she started a site on etsy with her suuuper cute knit hats! You MUST see them...so click here, or here, or here because seriously they're just that cute!

 What a shame to admit but I've never really been a big fan of Halloween. I don't like scary movies and it stresses me out trying to come up with a creative/fun/cute costume. I normally don't decorate, and I honestly usually remember Halloween is coming on October 30. This year however I decided that I want to decorate for Halloween, but not in a cheesy, scary, or ghosts and goblins way.  While blog stalking I found this cute autumn wreath on my friend Shayla's blog.


Super cute and classy right? I LOVE it and I really want to make one. I'm hoping I have time this weekend! Shayla said all you need is a basic Michael's twig wreath, some small decorative pumpkins, festive Halloween ribbon, and a hot glue gun. I will be investing in a hot glue gun Friday, so excited! So here's to learning to be more creative...if you come across any other fun/cute ideas, let me know! thanks :)

3 comments:

  1. Siri, I'm in advertising at BYU, and one time I was complaining to my dad about how I felt like I wasn't very creative, but I just LOVED advertising. He told me the difference between those who are creative, and those who aren't, is that those who are, THINK they are. So you are totally on the right track. Those pumpkin muffins look SO good. Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amie! That makes me feel better, because HELLO you are sooo creative! Your cakes are so beautiful, I always think to myself, WOW if only I could do that! (I'm actually thinking of taking a cake decorating class...haha we'll see how it goes) :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siri, Those fingerless gloves are crocheted and I would LOVE to make some. When you visit I would be happy to teach you how to crochet. I really enjoy it and find it very relaxing. Nancy

    ReplyDelete